Payments can be made online– if paying by e-check, the cost is only 50 cents, less than the cost of a stamp. Debit and credit cards do have a 2.5% fee that the County cannot waive (minimum service fee of $2.00), as the fee is charged by the third-party vendor who processes the payment.
LAND INSTALLMENT TAX PAYMENTS BEING PAID BY OUR ONLINE SYSTEM MUST BE PAID BY 4PM ON 4/30.
SCHOOL INSTALLMENT TAX PAYMENTS BEING PAID BY OUR ONLINE SYSTEM MUST BE PAID BY 4PM ON 11/30.
**US Postmark governs date of payment**
Due to delays in bank processing times we strongly recommend that Canadian Taxpayers obtain money orders when remitting tax payments or utilize the online credit/debit card or e-check option where available. This will prevent additional penalties / interest being assessed due to delays.
Canadian customers please note we only accept US postmarks.
Tax Collection (click to expand)
- Collect delinquent Real Property taxes including County, Town, Village and School taxes for 14 towns, 3 villages and 9 school districts (City of Plattsburgh is excluded)
- Collect current taxes for County and Town taxes for taxpayers who opt to pay taxes in four installment payments
- School taxes are mailed in September
- Taxpayers can enter into a delinquent installment payment program to pay taxes over an extended period (up to 24 months) with a 25% deposit - contact the Treasurer's Office for full details
- Tax searches and tax receipts are available for a fee
- The Treasurer is the enforcing officer under the In Rem Foreclosure process
- All properties, including residential, agricultural, commercial and vacant, have two years to pay taxes before foreclosure (foreclosed after a two-year delinquency)
- Title searches are performed annually on property subject to foreclosure
- Following judicial transfer of title of foreclosed property to the County, a public auction is held to sell the property - minimum bid is amount of taxes due.
Significant Dates (click to expand)
- 31st - Final date to pay first installment payment to town tax collector if paying taxes in four installments.
- 31st - Final date to submit full payment of taxes without interest to town tax collector.
- 28th - Second installment payment due to County Treasurer.
- 31st - Third installment payment due to County Treasurer.
- 12th - Final date to pay delinquent taxes to avoid $150.00 In Rem foreclosure fee due in office/online by 4pm.
- 30th - Fourth installment payment due to County Treasurer due in office/online by 4pm.
- 30th - Last day of collection for full tax payment to town tax collectors.
- Payments postmarked after April 30th are subject to 5% county penalty plus interest.
- June 2024 - TBD
- Clinton County In Rem foreclosure auction. For further information about the County auction, please contact Absolute Auctions & Realty, Inc. at www.nysauctions.com or (800) 243-0061.
- 23rd - Final date to pay current year taxes to avoid delinquent tax advertising and assessment of $10.00 fee, due in office/online by 4pm.
- 31st - All school taxes (excluding City of Plattsburgh) are mailed to taxpayers by school district collectors. Final date to pay school taxes without interest is determined by school district. Please read your bill carefully for dates and times of collection.
- 7th - Delinquent taxes are advertised in the Press Republican and North Countryman newspapers on 3 non-consecutive weeks.
- 21st - Delinquent taxes are advertised in the Press Republican and North Countryman newspapers on 3 non-consecutive weeks.
- 23rd - Final date to pay 2023 and prior year taxes to avoid foreclosure advertising and assessment of $20.00 fee, due in office/online by 4pm.
- 23rd - Final date to have payment plan in place, if qualified.
- 30th - Final date to pay first installment payment to school collector if paying taxes in three installments.
- 5th - Delinquent taxes are advertised in the Press Republican and North Countryman newspapers on 3 non-consecutive weeks.
- 7th - In Rem foreclosure documents filed with the court (all payments must be in the form of cash, postal money order, or bank check).
- 7th - Certified letters mailed to taxpayers enclosing Notice of Petition advising delinquent taxpayers last day to redeem property prior to foreclosure being January 6, 2025.
- 7th - Letters mailed to all parties of interest who hold mortgages or liens against property listed in Notice of Petition
- 8th - In Rem publication in the Press Republican and North Countryman 3 non-consecutive weeks.
- 22nd - In Rem publication in the Press Republican and North Countryman 3 non-consecutive weeks.
- 31st - Second installment payment due to County Treasurer.
- 1st - Filing with County Clerk list of all delinquent taxes for current calendar year.
- 1st-30th - Final dates to pay school taxes, before relevy onto land bill. Must have a copy of the original school bill before paying so additional fees can be properly calculated.
- 5th - In Rem publication in the Press Republican and North Countryman 3 non-consecutive weeks.
- 30th - Third installment payment due to County Treasurer in office/online by 4pm.
- 30th - School taxes that remain unpaid as of November 30th are subject to penalty plus interest and will be relevied on the January land tax bills.
- exact date TBD, received by date to avoid a $100 posting fee, if applicable.
- 31st - Taxes mailed to all property owners in 14 towns of Clinton County.
- January 6, 2025 by 4pm
- Final date to pay delinquent 2023 (or prior years) taxes on residential, agricultural, vacant and commercial properties to avoid foreclosure under In Rem foreclosure process. (Cash, postal money order or certified funds only, no personal checks, business checks or credit cards. Must be RECEIVED in our office by 4 p.m.)
Services (click to expand)
- Maintain financial records for all County departments
- Pay all audited claims against the County including debt service
- Receive and disburse Federal, State and local funds as required
- Collect Real Property taxes - see Tax Collection
- Responsible for County payroll
- Serve as depository for custodial and various trust accounts
- Responsible for capital projects including borrowing money and paying all audited claims
- Invest funds within guidelines of County Investment Policy to assure optimum earnings
- Issue Certificate of Residency to allow residents to attend community colleges at a reduced tuition (forms available for download on the right side of this page)